As we are moving into the hot summer months in Australia, now is the perfect time to carry out some improvements in the garden. Of course, there are many ways that you can brighten up the garden and if you need some inspiration, here are a few cool garden projects that will boost the kerb appeal of your home.
- Composite Deck – Check out the amazing Trex decking, which comes in a range of timber-grain finishes; this material is easy to work with and incredibly hard-wearing, withstanding the tough elements here in Australia.
- Water Fountain – There’s nothing like the sound of running water to soothe you and your local landscape gardener is more than capable of creating a water feature. You could integrate a small stream and waterfall into a pond, where you can raise goldfish; this can be your secluded relaxation corner, where you can enjoy your morning coffee.
- LED Lights – LED lighting comes in strips, which means you can place them around window frames and even drape them on tree branches for a Disney effect. You could line your terrace with soft colour and LED is low power, so you won’t have a huge electricity bill. Floor level lighting is a great way to change the evening ambience; hide soft yellow light units among the flower beds.
- Build a Pergola – Google Images can give you some design inspiration; build a timber frame and cover it with creeping vines and use thatch for the roof. This is a testing project for any DIY enthusiast and there’s a lot of satisfaction in creating a stunning pergola, a place for the family to rest and relax. Jarrah is ideal timber for a pergola and if you don’t have the time or inclination to get the tools out, a local builder would be happy to knock up a framework.
- Create a Rockery – If you have an empty corner at the back of your property, this is the ideal location for a rockery; a few yards of topsoil and some large rocks is all you need; spend a few hours at your local nursery to find the right plants and fauna and buy a few bags of peat moss and wood shavings, which should be liberally spread over the feature.
Now is the right time to start planning your garden revamp and we hope the above ideas ignite a spark in your creative mind.